Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nananananananananana

When I was in college the student union did a pretty good job of getting movies and/or entertainment acts for us. I saw Ellen DeGeneres, Larry David, Carol Leifer, Kevin Nealon, Dread Zeppelin, and a special Guest to be named in just a moment. There were many other acts, of course, but I didn't see them all. I saw the ones I could and the ones that had some sort of appeal.
Tim Burton was in the production for Batman when I learned about the next event. The student union sometimes managed to get first run movies which we got to see for free. I was a little surprised to find out that they would be showing Batman and would be hosting a special guest from the movie.
I was running just a little late that night. As I rushed toward the building, an extremely large bat flew just overhead. Seriously big, like something out of a bad science fiction movie. I took that as a good omen and headed for the doors.
I sat with mixed emotions as the lights began to dim. There were only a few empty seats but... surely there were more fans on campus? I scanned the room for buddies but didn't see anyone I knew. And the movie was starting and there was no where to sit so I stayed in the back and settled in to be amazed and entertained. Instead, I was shocked as the 1966 Batman began to play. It was entertaining, just wasn't what I expected.
The special guest was Adam West. He was charming, funny, and recalled some great stories from his days as the Caped Crusader. People asked the usual questions and he was gracious for all of them. To my knowledge, he was flown in for the movie and left immediately afterwards.
Strangely, what I recall most about that night was the giant bat that flew over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment